The programme of drug standardization is mainly concerned with evolving pharmacopoeial standards of single and compound Unani drugs included in various volumes of National Formulary of Unani Medicine and simultaneously to test the drugs under trial in the Council’s Clinical Research Units/Institutes and being manufactured in the pharmacy of Central Research Institute of Unani Medicine, Hyderabad.
Simultaneously, chemical investigations of Unani medicinal plants as well as toxicity studies are also carried out under this programme.
Standardization work for single drugs and compound formulations is carried out in accordance with the format approved by Unani Pharmacopoeia Committee of the Government of India, because the standards so developed are incorporated in the Unani Pharmacopoeia of India.
The work is being carried out through the following research centers of the Council.
- Drug Standardization Research Institute (DSRI), Ghaziabad.
- Central Research Institute of Unani Medicine (CRIUM), Hyderabad.
- Regional Research Institute of Unani Medicine (RRIUM), Chennai
- Regional Research Institute of Unani Medicine (RRIUM), Srinagar
- Regional Research Institute of Unani Medicine (RRIUM), Aligarh
- Drug Standardization Research Unit (DSRU), New Delhi
- Chemical Research Unit (Grant-in-Aid), AMU, Aligarh
Licensed Unani Pharmacies
There are about 324 licensed pharmacies manufacturing Unani drugs in different parts of the country. Besides, Indian Medicines Pharmaceutical Corporation Limited (IMPCL), Mohan (Uttrakhand) – a Government of India Undertaking – is one of the major manufactures of Unani drugs, which caters to the needs of the Central Government dispensaries. Unani pharmacies run by the State Governments are also functioning in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. Out of the 324 license pharmacies 88 have obtained GMP certification.
Distribution of Unani Pharmacies: State wise
|11||Jammu & Kashmir||2|
|30||A & N Islands|
|32||D & N Haveli|
|33||Daman & Diu|